Venue: Council Chamber - The Guildhall, Portsmouth. View directions
Contact: Karen Martin, Tel: 023 9284 1704 Email: Democratic@Portsmouthcc.gov.uk
Webcast: View the webcast
Appointment of Chair
Councillor Stuart Brown was elected as chair for this meeting. He welcomed everyone and outlined the procedure that would be followed. Introductions were made by those present.
Declarations of Members' Interest
There were no declarations of Members' interests.
NB the hearing is available to view via the Council's website at: Licensing Sub-Committee meeting 25 October 2022 on Livestream
The Principal Licensing Officer introduced the report, informing the Licensing Sub-Committee that it is asked to consider an application for the variation of a premises licence pursuant to section 35 of the Licensing Act 2003.
The Principal Licensing Officer explained that the matter has been referred to the Licensing Sub-Committee for determination following receipt of relevant representations from Richard Maidment, Principal Regulatory Services Officer, and fifteen local residents.
The Principal Licensing Officer informed the Sub-Committee that the current authorisation authorises alcohol sales and opening hours as Sunday 09:00 until 23:00 and Monday to Saturday 08:00 until 23:00 hours. The Applicant wishes to increase the sale of alcohol until 01:00 hours on Friday and Saturday and for the opening and closing hours to be increased to the same times. The Applicant also seeks to include additional licensable activities to the licence as follows:
· Live Music - Friday 19:00 to 21:00 hours and Sunday 14:00 to 16:00 hours.
· Recorded Music - Sunday 12:00 until 23:00 hours, Monday to Thursday 17:00 until 23:00 hours, Friday 17:00 until 01:00 hours and on Saturday 12:00 until 01:00 hours.
· Late Night Refreshment - Friday and Saturday 23:00 until 01:00 hours.
The Applicant has detailed in the Operating Schedule the steps intended to support and promote the Licensing Objectives which includes the restriction on persons drinking outside during these extended hours. These can be found in the redacted application form attached as Appendix A of the report. The current licence is attached as Appendix B of the report.
The Principal Licensing Officer also informed the Licensing Sub-Committee that:
· Sherlocks Bar is located at the end of a small parade of shops, bars and eateries on either side of Clarendon Road running east from the Palmerston Road precinct.
· Responsible authorities are automatically notified of allnew applications and each responsible authority is an expert in theirrespectivefield.
· When determining the variation application, the Licensing Sub-Committee must have regard to the promotion of the Licensing Objectives as well as policy and statutory considerations.
· The proceedings for reviewing premises licences representa key protectionforthecommunitywhere problems associated withthe Licensing Objectives occur afterthe gran ... view the full minutes text for item 60.