Agenda

Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE)
Wednesday, 23rd March, 2016 4.30 pm

Venue: Mayfield School, Mayfield Road, Portsmouth, PO2 0RH

Contact: Peter Smith-Parkyn (023) 9268 8361  Email: peter.smith-parkyn@portsmouthcc.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Introductions

The Chair to welcome everyone to the meeting and to introduce new members and/or those standing in for absent members.

 

2.

Moment for Quiet Reflection

Councillor Neill Young to lead.

3.

Apologies for Absence

To receive and note any apologies for absence.

4.

Declaration of Members' Interest

Members are asked to identify any pecuniary, prejudicial or personal interests on any matters on the agenda.

 

Note: Should any indication of an interest arise duringthe meeting, members are asked to declare at that time, as soon as is practicable.

5.

Minutes of the Previous meetings pdf icon PDF 35 KB

It is recommended the Council agrees the following minutes as a correct record;

(1) the Minutes of 17 June 2015 and;

(2) the Minutes of 11 November 2015.

Additional documents:

6.

Matters Arising from the minutes

7.

Brief updates or notification of items to be brought to a future meeting

SACRE Members are invited to share briefly relevant updates and agree an y proposed items to bring to a future meeting.

 

Recommended that updates are noted and any agreed proposed items be included on a future agenda.

8.

Updates from the Chair

Elizabeth Jenkerson to update SACRE members on the following:

·         SACRE hub

·         Primary and Secondary conferences (Hants)

·         Youth Voice

·         talk by Charles Clarke

·         NASACRE AGM (and changes)

·         Southampton document (a proposed project)

 

Recommended that the updates be noted.

 

9.

GCSE Results

Linda Jacobs to update SACRE on recent GCSE results

 

Recommended that the update be noted.

10.

Updates on recent Ofsted visits to Portsmouth Schools

Elizabeth Jenkerson to update SACRE members on the key findings on recent Ofsted visits to some of Portsmouth's schools.

 

Recommended that the update be noted.

11.

Support for SACRE pdf icon PDF 75 KB

Linda Jacobs to update SACRE on support being provided.

 

Recommended that update be noted.

12.

Role of SACRE members and reporting pdf icon PDF 255 KB

All SACRE members are asked to provide an update and if needed, report back on the following questions:

 

1.    Within their group, what reporting back takes place (whether they be a faith/school or other representative)?

2.    What succession planning for their own position on SACRE is in place to ensure future representation?

3.    Can SACRE members update/enhance the offer currently provided to schools (the EMAS faith directory is attached)?

 

Recommended that

(1) updates are notes and;

(2) all SACRE members give further consideration and send information and/or updates to the clerk.

13.

Date and venue of future meetings

It is proposed that the next scheduled meeting of SACRE be moved from 15 June 2016 to Wednesday 8 June 2016.

 

SACRE are asked to agree the dates of next municipal year's meetings, all starting at 4:30pm, the proposed dates are as follows:

 

Ø  Wednesday 5 October 2016 (to be held in the Portsmouth Civic Offices)

Note: This meeting is to also include the required separate meeting of the Agreed Syllabus Conference, which must be quorate.

 

Ø  Wednesday 1 March 2017

Ø  Wednesday 7 June 2017