Venue: Council Chamber - The Guildhall. View directions
Contact: James Harris on 023 9260 6065 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Webcast: View the webcast
Apologies for Absence
Declarations of Members' Interests
The purpose of the report is to request the Panel to review the decision taken by the Cabinet on 22 June 2021 in respect of item 10 on that agenda "Appointments to Outside Organisations" (The nominations which were considered by the Cabinet on 22 June 2021 together with the decision record is attached as Appendix 1 to this report.)
Councillors Matthew Atkins, Ryan Brent, Hannah Hockaday, Lee Mason and Daniel Wemyss have asked that the decision be called in for scrutiny on the basis that they believe that the decision may have been taken without adequate information (of which the nature has been identified).
The Lead Call-in Member is Councillor Matthew Atkins. The Lead Cabinet Member is Councillor Gerald Vernon-Jackson, Leader of Portsmouth City Council.
The decision today is for the panel to determine whether the Cabinet's decision has been taken without adequate information.
If the panel is satisfied that the decision was not taken without adequate information being supplied to enable the Cabinet to reach its decision, then no further action is required and the matter ends here.
If the panel is not satisfied on these grounds, the panel may refer the matter back to the Cabinet for reconsideration, setting out in writing the nature of its concerns that are to be addressed in conjunction with the original matter.
A report by the City Solicitor is attached with the following documents as appendices:
· The table of nominations considered by the Cabinet on 22 June 2021 (Appendix 1)
· the Cabinet Decision Notice published on 24 June 2021 (Appendix 2)
· Procedure note for the meeting (Appendix 3)
· Reasons for Call-in and Call-in request (Appendix 4)
· Part 4E of the Council's Constitution - Appointments to Outside Bodies and organisations, charities etc - Political Proportionality Protocol (Appendix 5)
The relevant members and officers will be in attendance.
RECOMMENDED that the Panel is requested to consider the evidence and decide whether to resolve either:
(1) that no action should be taken in respect of the decision made by the Cabinet on 22 June 2021; or
(2) that the matter should be referred back to Cabinet for reconsideration, setting out in writing the nature of its concerns that are to be addressed in conjunction with the original matter.