Agenda and minutes

Portchester Crematorium Joint Committee
Monday, 20th March, 2017 2.00 pm

Venue: The Collingwood Room, Civic Offices, Fareham

Contact: Telephone enquiries to John Haskell, Clerk to the Joint Committee 023 9283 4057 

Items
No. Item

Apologies for Absence (AI 1)

Councillors Lee Mason and Robert New (Portsmouth CC), Councillor David Guest (Havant BC) and James Clark (Manager & Registrar).

719.

Declarations of Members’ Interests

Minutes:

None

720.

Minutes of the Meeting held on 12 December 2016 pdf icon PDF 161 KB

Attached.

Minutes:

RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on the 12 December 2016 be signed as a correct record.

721.

Matters Arising from the Minutes not specifically referred to on the Agenda

Minutes:

None

722.

Clerk’s Items

The Clerk to the Joint Committee will report on any matters requiring attention.

Minutes:

(a)       Recycling of Metals Scheme – Charitable Nomination

 

The Clerk reported that following consultation with members at the end of January 2017, there was a majority view to support the submission of an application for the Rowans Hospice under the metals recycling scheme operated by the Institute of Cemetery and Cremation Management.    The application had now been submitted.   The ICCM criteria required that nominations had to be for local or national death related charities which had as their core function bereavement related support or service.

 

NOTED

723.

Risk Management Strategy pdf icon PDF 132 KB

The Risk Management Framework and Policy Statements for Portchester Crematorium are subject to annual review.

 

The attached report from the Treasurer sets out the updated documents for approval by the Joint Committee.

 

RECOMMENDED   (1) That the Risk Management Strategic Framework and Policy as set out in Appendices A and B of the Treasurer’s report be approved.

 

(2) That the revised Strategic and Operational Risk Registers set out in Appendices C and D be approved.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

(TAKE IN REPORT OF THE TREASURER)

 

Consideration was given to the Risk Management Framework and Policy Statements for Portchester Crematorium.    The Deputy Treasurer reported that the monitoring review that had been undertaken by officers indicated that only within the operational risk register were some risk description revisions required from that previously approved in 2016.    

 

RESOLVED  (1) That the Risk Management Strategic Framework and Policy as set out in Appendices A and B of the Treasurer’s report be approved.

 

(2) That the revised Strategic and Operational Risk Registers set out in Appendices C and D be approved.

724.

Development Plan 2017 - 2022 pdf icon PDF 170 KB

The purpose of the attached report is to submit for the Joint Committee’s approval a Development Plan for the period 2017 - 2022.

 

This Plan reviews and revisits the previous Development Plan approved in March 2015. The Joint Committee has previously agreed the Development Plan should be reviewed at 2 yearly intervals.

 

RECOMMENDED   (1) that the Portchester Crematorium Joint Committee Development Plan 2017 - 2022 be approved and adopted;

 

(2) that the Development Plan be next reviewed in 2 year’s time.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

(TAKE IN REPORT OF THE CLERK)

 

The Clerk explained the purpose of the report and sought the Joint Committee’s approval to the Development Plan for the period 2017 - 2022.  The Plan reviewed and revisited the previous Development Plan approved in March 2015.   The Clerk highlighted the main changes and updates that had been incorporated within the Plan for the Joint Committee’s approval.

 

Arising from consideration the Clerk advised that the penultimate sentence of paragraph 12.1 would need to be revised to read - ’During 2019/20 it is anticipated a cremator upgrading programme will be undertaken.’

 

RESOLVED (1) that the Portchester Crematorium Joint Committee Development Plan 2017 – 2022, as updated, be approved and adopted;

 

(2) that the Development Plan be next reviewed in 2 year’s time.

725.

Building Works Programme pdf icon PDF 173 KB

Report from the Engineer and Surveyor attached.

 

RECOMMENDED that the Joint Committee notes the contents of the report.

Minutes:

(TAKE IN REPORT OF THE ENGINEER AND SURVEYOR)

 

RESOLVED that the contents of the report be noted.

726.

North Chapel Refurbishment

Following the successful completion of the South Chapel refurbishment the Joint Committee has expressed a wish to carry out a suitable project to update and improve the environment on the North Chapel. Given the success of the South Chapel scheme the Engineer and Surveyor has approached the same firm of architects (Robert Benn Associates) who have indicated a willingness to work again on the Joint Committee’s behalf on the same terms and conditions as previous. They will prepare a concept proposal for the Joint Committee’s consideration prior to formal appointment.

 

RECOMMENDED that the report be noted.

Minutes:

The Engineer and Surveyor reported that following the Joint Committee expressing a wish to carry out a suitable project to update and improve the environment of the North Chapel he had approached Robert Benn Associates.  This firm of architects had undertaken the successful completion of the South Chapel refurbishment and had indicated a willingness to work again on the Joint Committee’s behalf on the same terms and conditions as previous.    They would prepare a concept proposal for the Joint Committee’s consideration prior to formal appointment.

 

RESOLVED that the Engineer and Surveyor’s report be noted and that a further report be submitted to the Joint Committee in June 2017.

727.

Manager and Registrar’s Report pdf icon PDF 124 KB

(a)          General Report attached

 

(b)         Public Comments Register

 

The Manager and Registrar will update members on comments received.

 

(c)          Any other items of topical interest

Minutes:

(a)  General Statistical Report

 

(TAKE IN REPORT OF THE MANAGER AND REGISTRAR)

 

Arising from members’ questions the Deputy Manager and Registrar explained that the number of ‘walk through’ services at the crematorium had been gradually increasing since its introduction in April 2016.  This service was becoming popular for those seeking simplified economic funerals and in those cases where the funeral service itself was held in church or at the funeral director’s own chapel of rest.

 

RESOLVED that the report be received and noted.

 

(b)  Any other items of topical interest – public comments register

 

The Deputy Manager and Registrar reported that since December 2016 the following comments had been received -

 

·         A request for pathway painted numbering in the North Border area (which is under consideration).

·         Two complaints that objects had been removed from the gardens as part of clearance, but these were available for collection.

·         A complaint that a vase had been disturbed during bark maintenance.

·         A complaint that vases had been destroyed, possibly accidentally by grounds staff

·         A letter thanking staff & gardeners for the immaculate and efficient way the crematorium is run. 

 

NOTED

 

(c)  Any other topical items - None

728.

Horticultural Consultant’s Report – Grounds Maintenance pdf icon PDF 114 KB

Report from the Horticultural Consultant on grounds maintenance attached.

 

RECOMMENDED that the report be received and noted.

Minutes:

(TAKE IN REPORT OF THE HORTICULTURAL CONSULTANT)

 

In presenting his report the Horticultural Consultant updated members in respect of the arrangements for the grounds maintenance procurement, the key dates which were as follows –

 

·         Joint Committee – 26 June 2017 – Report on evaluation of pre-qualification questionnaire (PQQ) and select list of tenderers prepared.

·         July – Tenders invited

·         August – Tenders returned and evaluated

·         Joint Committee – 18 September – Formal award of new contract on basis of outcome of tender evaluation process.

 

RESOLVED that the report be received and approved.

729.

Date of Next Meeting – Monday 26 June 2017 at 2pm in Gosport