Venue: Ground Floor Meeting Room 5 - Civic Offices. View directions
Contact: Lisa Gallacher 02392 834056 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence had been received from Councillor Paul Godier.
Declarations of Interest
Councillor Dowling declared a personal interest as he is a governor at Miltoncross School.
RECOMMENDED that the minutes of the Education, Children and Young
People Scrutiny Panel meeting held on 22 September 2014 be confirmed
and signed by the Chair as a correct record.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the Education, Children & Young People Scrutiny Panel held on 22 September 2014 be confirmed as a correct record.
Review into Pupil Premium
The following witnesses will be attending to speak and answer questions from
· Marc Harder, Education Improvement Commissioning Manager (interim)
· Julien Kramer, Interim Head of Education
· Deamonn Hewett-Dale, Head Teacher of The Flying Bull Academy
· Sandra Gibb, Head Teacher of St George's Beneficial C of E Primary School
· Fiona Calderbank, Head Teacher of Milton Cross School
The Chair welcomed all guests to the meeting and introductions were made around the table before evidence was given.
Julien Kramer, Interim Head of Education and Marc
Harder, Interim Education Information Commissioning Manager
The LA has initiated a PP programme for secondary
schools within the city where the GCSE gap was second to bottom in
the 'national league table' of 2013.
This has involved a number of streams:
· Brokering additional resource from an external secondary education officer
· Facilitating and chairing a network of head teachers to work on PP
· Seconding a deputy head at a city Secondary School funded by the LA and schools to work across all secondary phase provision in sharing good practice,
· Hosting a workshop for all Secondary Heads with sub-regional lead HMI running a seminar on the priority of PP in school inspections (summer term 2013/14)
· Hosting a workshop for secondary and primary heads with the national PP Champion (Sir John Dunford) on November 17 2014
· Having a lead Head teacher, Fiona Calderbank, to work alongside the Local Authority on this agenda as part of the seconded heads programme (primary).
· Re-focusing analyses from the Education Information Services Team on 'narrowing the PP gap.
· Attending regional / national conferences, for example the South East Regional Ofsted conference in March 2014 at which Sir Michael Wilshaw HMCI and other national speakers showed the gap for South East LAs and showcased those areas where gaps are being narrowed.
Ensuring that there is a focus at the cluster level
on narrowing the gap.
Impact of pupil premium
Mr Harder advised that the ... view the full minutes text for item 32.
Dates of Future Meetings
· Monday 24 November at 7:00pm
This was agreed at Monday 24 November at 7pm.