Venue: The Executive Meeting Room - Third Floor, The Guildhall. View directions
Contact: Joanne Wildsmith Democratic Services Tel: 9283 4057 Email: email@example.com
Apologies for absence
Declarations of Members' Interests
Due to the change in membership it is:
RECOMMENDED that the minutes of the panel meeting held on 22 March 2018 be noted.
Review of Portsmouth International Port
The newly constituted panel is continuing this review and members were given the opportunity to undertake a site visit on 16 August 2018.
Witnesses at this meeting will be:
i) Mike Sellers, Port Director, to give further updates
ii) Richard Lee (Regulatory Services Manager) and Steve Bell (Environmental Health Team Leader) who will explain their department's responsibilities at the Port, covering:
1. an explanation of current Regulatory Services Port Health responsibilities and how these are determined by the activities within the port and the prescriptive requirements of the law
2. an explanation of how Environmental Health responsibilities assist with the day to day operations of the Port
3. a summary of manner in which the financial resources of Regulatory Services are currently shaped through income via the Port and an explanation as to why reductions in income have necessitated a reduction in resources which have dramatically impacted upon the department's ability to react to current and future needs
4. details of the range of officers skills, qualifications and resources required in order to facilitate 1. above
5. a reminder that current common quality and safety standards are shared by the UK and EU as part of the Bloc agreement and that if a borderless EU trade area for goods and agriculture is not agreed as part of Brexit, there is a possibility that more rigorous checks of products will be needed for produce of EU origin - and that if this takes place the need to highlight what the resourcing implications of this scenario might be for Regulatory Services. Obviously, this situation may change at any point in time whilst negotiations are ongoing.
Date for next meeting
To discuss suitable timing.