Venue: Executive Meeting Room - The Guildhall (Floor 3)
Contact: Joanne Wildsmith, Democratic Services Tel 9283 4057 Email: email@example.com
Webcast: View the webcast
Apologies for Absence
Declarations of Interests
A copy of the record of the previous decisions taken at Cabinet on 19 June 2018 are attached.
RECOMMENDED that the record of decisions of the Cabinet meeting held on 19 June 2018 are agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.
Vacancies and changes to appointments to outside bodies have arisen since the last Cabinet meeting. Details of vacancies will follow for which nominations will be considered at the meeting.
RECOMMENDED that further appointments be made by Cabinet.
Appointments were made to fill some of the vacancies to outside bodies, which are listed on a separate schedule.
Armed Forces Champion and Liaison Members
The Cabinet has previously appointed Councillor Frank Jonas as Armed Forces Champion (11 June 2015). In line with the job profile which states that this role should be carried out by "A member of the Cabinet with an interest in the Armed Forces community" this item is brought to Cabinet to formally appoint Councillor Gerald Vernon-Jackson CBE as Portsmouth City Council's lead champion. Councillor Jonas is asked to continue as an Armed Forces Representative.
The Armed Forces Champion's role includes liaison with:
· the Solent Armed Forces Covenant Partnership and associated task groups
· the appointed Covenant lead officer and programme manager, with particular reference to the council's obligations undertaken through the Armed Forces Covenant.
· Lord Mayor on all ceremonial matters (e.g. Armed Forces Day, Armistice Day).
· local members of parliament
· local members of the Armed Forces
· businesses/local organisations within the local authority
all of this to promote the Armed Forces Covenant.
RECOMMENDED that Councillor Gerald Vernon-Jackson CBE be appointed as the Lead Armed Forces Champion and Councillor Frank Jonas be an Armed Forces Representative for the City Council.
Councillor Gerald Vernon-Jackson CBE was appointed as the Lead Armed Forces Champion and Councillor Frank Jonas was appointed to act as the Armed Forces Representative at times when the Champion is unavailable.
The report by the Assistant Director City Development is to advise Cabinet of the progress to date, current issues and future work to be undertaken for the new Local Plan, and to seek endorsement of the new Local Plan timetable set out in the Local Development Scheme.
RECOMMENDED that Cabinet:
(1) Note the issues raised in this report and endorse the proposed approach to dealing with them;
(2) Endorse the approach to engagement with neighbouring authorities under the Duty to Cooperate;
(3) Approve the proposed revised timetable for the Local Plan set out in the new Local Development Scheme.
(1) Noted the issues raised in this report and endorsed the proposed approach to dealing with them;
(2) Endorsed the approach to engagement with neighbouring authorities under the Duty to Cooperate;
(3) Approved the proposed revised timetable for the Local Plan set out in the new Local Development Scheme.
(4) regret the decision of the government to move away from locally produced and evidenced housing needs targets to a top down housing target created by national formula being imposed that has no relation to local housing need, the geographic constraints of being an island city or of our historic ability to deliver housing builds.
Standing Order 58 - Charlotte Street
The purpose of this item is to report back to Cabinet that on 15 June 2018 an urgent decision was taken by the Chief Executive under the above authority.
Prior to the decision being taken the Chief Executive delegated consultation to his Deputy who consulted with the following Members:
· Leader of the Council: Cllr Gerald Vernon Jackson CBE
· Leader of the Opposition: Cllr Donna Jones
· Cabinet Member for PRED: Cllr Ben Dowling
· Shadow Member PRED: Cllr George Fielding
The decision concerned a settlement figure with regard to a claim (details of which are commercially sensitive) made against the Council. The initial claim was made for circa £250,000 plus costs but the claim was agreed and settled for £70,000 including costs. Standing Order 58 was invoked as under the constitution the City Solicitor can only authorise claims up to £50,000 without further consultation.
RECOMMENDED that the urgent decision taken under SO58 be noted.
The urgent decision taken under SO58 was noted.
(This information item on a decision already taken is not subject to call-in)