Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Children's Social Care Decision Meeting
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
(TAKE IN REPORT)
The report was introduced by Graham Smith, Group Accountant. In response to questions the following points were clarified by officers:
· The budget forecast is the best estimate at a point in time and forecast could fluctuate.
· It was noted that the forecast for some external residential placements excluded any external contributions and as such it was anticipated that this would reduce
· Over the last few months the number of unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children (UASC) has remained stable. The National Voluntary Dispersal Scheme came into force on 1 July and stipulates that each authority should have 0.07% UASC per 10,000 child population. The figure for Portsmouth works out at 31 children and currently the number is fluctuating between 29 and 30 UASC's. If the number of UASC's reaches 31, in the short term it is the Council's responsibility however it is expected that the protocol will be initiated quickly and the Council can ask colleagues in neighbouring local authorities to help. Therefore the risk of having substantially more UASC's is therefore minimal due to the Scheme in place.
DECISIONS: the Cabinet Member
(1) Noted the Children's Social Care Portfolio forecast budget position, at the end of June 2016, of £0.4m in excess of current approved cash limit provision.
(2) Supported the ongoing process of budget review and implementation of proposals to reduce the projected overspend position and deliver a balanced budget within the area of Children's Social Care.
Report author: Richard Webb
Publication date: 30/11/2016
Date of decision: 06/09/2016
Decided at meeting: 06/09/2016 - Cabinet Member for Children's Social Care Decision Meeting