Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Children's Social Care Decision Meeting
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Graham Smith introduced the report and explained the reasons for the current forecast year-end overspend.
Councillor Rob Wood asked how work is progressing in terms of the Looked After Children placements. In response Sarah Newman, the Deputy Director of Children's Services referred to paragraph 5.4.3 in the report and explained that the council reliance on the Independent Fostering Agency is at 15%, due to our successful Foster Portsmouth campaign.
Sarah explained further the following:
· Portsmouth has been 0% reliance on agency staff in comparison with 13% statistical neighbours (2015/16). If Portsmouth were using 13% agency this would potentially add circa £260,000 to our costs.
· An improvement (reduction) of 69 days (on average) between entering care and placement with adopters (comparing rolling 3 years January 2016 to rolling 3 years January 2017).
· A 5% reliance on residential care which is very low in comparison with statistical neighbours and South East average (at 9%).
· We currently use 219 internal placements and purchase 53 IFA placements. Our reliance on IFA placements has reduced from 27% 2013 to 15% and is significantly low in comparison with IFA framework average (25%) and statistical neighbours average (30%).
· 478 referrals per 10,000 population in comparison with 706 statistical neighbours (2015/16).
The Cabinet Member thanked officers for their hard work and for their work on this report.
DECISIONS: the Cabinet Member:
(1) Noted the Children's Social Care Portfolio forecast budget position, at the end of December 2016, of £1.0m in excess of current approved cash limit provision.
(2) Supported the ongoing process of budget review and implementation of proposals to reduce the projected overspend position and deliver a balanced budget within the area of Children's Social Care.
Report author: Richard Webb
Publication date: 27/04/2017
Date of decision: 14/03/2017
Decided at meeting: 14/03/2017 - Cabinet Member for Children's Social Care Decision Meeting