Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Children's Social Care Decision Meeting
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
(TAKE IN REPORT)
The report was introduced by Sarah Newman, Deputy Director of Children's Social Care. In response to questions the following points were clarified:
· Adoption performance in Portsmouth has improved every year for the past five years compared to other local authorities in Hampshire. There is therefore a slight concern that if Portsmouth joins with the other LA's in Hampshire that performance will decrease and officers are mindful of that.
· The adoption service had a visit from the DfE last week which found there to be excellent arrangements in place. Ofsted will be responsible for inspecting the new Regional Adoption Agency (RAA).
· The agenda for RAA's is driven by Central Government and arrangements are well bedded in so this will be definitely be going ahead. In reality this will only affect a small number of children each year as approximately 10% of children in care are placed for adoption each year.
· The current cost of allowances and team costs for the Portsmouth adoption service is circa £1.2 million a year. However there is still substantial development to be undertaken in respect of the financial aspects of the RAA proposals in order to identify the required financial contribution from Portsmouth.
· Alison Jeffery explained that progress with the RAA needs to be done carefully and it will be kept under review. There is a governing board consisting of Director of Children's Services for all the Hampshire authorities and the RAA is being discussed at these meetings.
· A further report will more detail will come back in early 2017 once the details of the RAA have been finalised.
The Cabinet Member agreed in principle that the Adoption Service becomes part of the Adoption South Central Regionalised Adoption Agency from 1st April 2018, subject to a further report and decision by the cabinet member once details have been finalised.
Report author: Kate Freeman
Publication date: 15/12/2016
Date of decision: 06/12/2016
Decided at meeting: 06/12/2016 - Cabinet Member for Children's Social Care Decision Meeting