Decision Maker: Cabinet
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
1. Noted that Aquind are seeking to develop an electricity Interconnector between the UK and France with a converter station in Lovedean. They are proposing to "land" the high voltage DC (HVDC) electricity cable at Eastney and run it up through Portsmouth to the converter station at Lovedean.
2. Noted that despite representations from Portsmouth City Council that the Aquind proposal should be determined by the relevant local planning authorities (including Portsmouth City Council), the Government has decided that the proposal was a 'Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project' that should be determined by the Secretary of State through the Development Consent Order process.
3. Agreed to seek the support of Full Council to reinforce the Cabinet's objection to the route of the HVDC cable whilst also working constructively with Aquind and other stakeholders.
4. Agreed that the Council responds to this proposal in a coordinated way and where possible works with neighbouring councils on any common approaches.
5. Noted that any additional external costs incurred in the current year associated with the need to make an informed and considered response to the proposal will be met from the Council's Corporate Contingency.
Report author: Kelly Nash
Publication date: 10/07/2019
Date of decision: 09/07/2019
Decided at meeting: 09/07/2019 - Cabinet